Functional disorders of the gastro - intestinal tract, such as irritable bowel syndrome take a significant place among gastrointestinal diseases with children. It is important to find new non-drug methods of action in the treatment of this pathology. The method of differentiated eastern improving gymnastics using, oriental massage and reflexology electrodynamic in children with irritable bowel syndrome associated with constipation was developed. This technique was used with children who were at a stationary stage of rehabilitation. It normalizes motor - evacuation function of the intestine and the vegetative status of children, shortens the clinical disease manifestations period and improves the treatment outcomes.
Key words: functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, DENS-therapy,
Japanese Massage, Eastern gymnastics
In recent years we can observe the growing of gastrointestinal diseases in children, among which the functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract take the important place. One of such disorders is irritable bowel syndrome.[1,2,3]
Among the variety of somatic complaints for irritable bowel syndrome the most characteristic is the disorders of stool, abdominal pain and bloating.[1,2,4,8]
Today‘s analysis of the modern position of the rehabilitation treatment of children with irritable bowel syndrome shows us that the leading position belongs to the pharmacological agents, which along with the positive effects have the potential to cause drug complications and allergies. All these positions make further drug therapy more difficult, and it is often ineffective. In this regard the search of new methods of correction of functional disorders of the intestine remains relevant. It will increase the effectiveness of comprehensive rehabilitation therapy.[4,5,9].
In recent years, interest to the eastern improving systems and to the possibility of their using in clinical practice has significantly increased. According to the supporters of the eastern medicine, a lot of diseases, including functional disorders are cause by disturbance of the circulation of energy in the meridians of acupuncture, functional relationship of which with the internal organs is proved today. The traditional Eastern health systems contribute to the elimination of the functional block of muscle-joint links and normalize the function of reducing the energy meridians. One of the components of Oriental Medicine is Oriental healing gymnastics and massage.
Based on the foregoing, we have developed the method of using differentiated eastern improving gymnastics, oriental massage and reflexology electrodynamic (DENS- therapy) in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation- on the inpatient treatment. At the same time, we proceeded from the point of view that the Eastern massageand Oriental improving gymnastics affect different perspectives impact on the pathological links of functional disorders of the colon, complementing and enhancing the therapeutic effect of each other. All these impacts will contribute to achieving a higher therapeutic effect. Also, the using of electrodynamic reflexology will consolidate the resulting effect and length the period of remission.[6,7]
We observed 41 children with irritable bowel syndrome at the age of 9 to 16 years old who were on inpatient treatment in a specialized unit. The duration of the disease in all children was more than two years.
The control group consisted of 19 children: 9 boys and 10 girls, and a basic group included 22 children: 10 boys and 12 girls.
Children in the control group received traditional therapy, which consisted of the normalization of diet, psycho-emotional protective mode, receiving biologics, spasmolitics, antidepressants. And the children of the main group additionally received eastern massage, eastern healing gymnastics and DENS-therapy.
Massage is a modification of Japanese Massage "Yumeiho" , it was taken every day during 20 minutes from the 2- d day of staying in the hospital for 10 days. The sense of massage was in dotted effect on the paravertebral area at the level of Th9 to S5, and also on the abdominal wall and the abdominal organs.Wherein, the pressure force, the penetration depth and the speed of the massage dependent on the severity of pain.
1 hour after the massage the exercises of Eastern gymnastics Budo were applied. The duration of the procedure was 20-25 minutes. Classes include static and dynamic breathing exercises with the accent on training diaphragmatic breathing. Also the exercises that improve the mobility of the lower thoracic and lumbar spine were used. The used Exercises were performed at a slow pace with fixing in extreme positions, without static force of abdominal muscles. During the exercises the children focuse attention on their own "inner feelings".
DENS-therapy took place 1 times per day for 15 minutes during the whole period of hospital stay. This procedure carried out on the skin of the anterior abdominal wall in the direction clockwise from the navel to the periphery using a permanent regime, in a comfortable energy level. Also the area "three tracks" in the dosed mode are treated.
The results of the comparative analysis shows that the main group of the children, who had in their complex treatment on stationary stage of restorative treatment eastern improving gymnastics, massage and DENS-therapy had the more rapid positive dynamics of clinical symptoms than children who had usual conventional complex therapy. Already starting from the second or third day of hospitalization children from the basic group had regular stool, fecal intoxication symptoms disappeared, dyspeptic symptoms were decreased. At the same time, children in the control group who received traditional treatment, observed the improvement in 5-6 days.
Based on the studies we found that the number of children with clinical manifestations of the autonomic nervous system decreased in the base group. It should be noted that all patients tolerated the treatment, they noted improvement of health and normalization of sleep.
Thus, the analysis of clinical observations suggests that differentiated application of the eastern improving gymnastics, massage and electrodynamic reflexology inpatient rehabilitation stage normalize the motor-evacuation function of the intestine and the vegetative status of children with irritable bowel syndrome, helps to shorten the clinical manifestation of the disease and treatment outcomes.
This work was performed in the course of fulfillment of government budget supported research program at Odessa National Medical University (Ukraine).
There is some conflict of interests between authors of article.
- .Белоусов Ю.В. Гастроенторологія дитячого віку:підручник/ Ю.В.Белоусов - К.:СПД Коляда О.П., 2007. - 440 с.;іл..
- .Наказ МОЗ Украіни № 59 від 29.01.2013 р.«Про затвердження протоколів діагностики та лікування захворювань органів травлення у дітей»
- .Бельмер С.В., Гасилина Т.В., Хавкин А.И., Эйберман А.С. Функциональные нарушения органов пищеварения у детей. - М., 2006. - 44 с.
- .Лоранская И.Д. Синдром раздраженного кишечника: учебное пособие / И.Д. Лоранская, О.А. Лаврентьева // М.: Форте принт, 2011. - 40 с.
- .Маев И.В. Синдром раздраженного кишечника. Римские критерии III / И.В. Маев, С.В. Черемушкин // Consiliummedicum (приложение). Гастроэнтерология. - 2007. -№ 1. - С. 5-10.
- .Руководство по динамической электронейростимулирующей терапии аппаратами ДЭНАС / В.В.Чернышов, В.В.Малахов, А.А.Власов - 2-е изд. перераб. и доп. - Екатеринбург: ООО «РТАЦ». 2002. - 248 с.
- .Севастьянов Н.Н. Дыхательная гимнастика: энциклопедия/ Н.Н.Севастьянов. - М.:АСТ,2009. - 253 с.
- .Abhyankar A. Constipation in children / A.Abhyankar, I. Carcani, G.Clayden // BMJ Clin. Evid. - 2006.- Vol. 10.-P. 303.
- .Drossman D.A. The functional gastrointestinal disorders and the Rome III process // Gastroenterology. - 2006. - Vol. 130. - Р. 1377-1390.
- Belousov Yu.V. Gastroenterology of Children Age: Textbook / Yu.V.Belousov.- Kiev: SPD Kolyada O.P., 2007.- 440 pp.
- Order after Ministry of HealthCare of Ukraine №59 dated by 29.01.2013 —The adoption of diagnostic and treatment protocols on digestive children system”.
- Belmer S.V., Gasilina T.V., Havkin A.I. Eiberman A.S. Functional disturbances of digestive organs in children.- Moscow, 2006.- 44 pp.
- .Loranskaya I.D. The syndrome of irritated bowel: textbook / I.D. Loranskaya, O.A. Lavrentyeva // Мoscow: Forte Print, 2011. - 40 pp.
- .Mayev I.V. The syndrome of irritated bowel. Rome Criteria III / I.V.Mayev, S.V. Cheremuskin // Consiliummedicum (supplement). Gastroenetrology. - 2007. -№ 1. - P. 510.
- . The manual on the dynamical electroneurostimulative therapy with DENAS apparatuses / V.V.Chernyshov, V.V.Malahov, A.A.Vlasov - 2-d edition. - Elkaterinburg: «RTATs» Edition. 2002. - 248 pp.
- .Sevastyanov N.N. Respiratory Gymnastics: Encyclopedia / N.N.Sevastyanov. - Moscow: AST edition, 2009. - 253 pp.
- . Abhyankar A. Constipation in children / A.Abhyankar, I. Carcani, G. Clayden // BMJ Clin. Evid. - 2006.- Vol. 10.-P. 303.
- . Drossman D.A. The functional gastrointestinal disorders and the Rome III process // Gastroenterology. - 2006. - Vol. 130. - Р. 1377-1390.